Monday, April 5, 2010

Baking

WeWrite4Ten today is - Baking....what is your favorite cake? Why? If you don't like cake, what about pie? Have you ever made your favorite? From scratch or from a box?

I have to say that cake is not my favorite dessert, although I have grown fonder of it as I get older. My favorite cake is my mother-in-law's chocolate cake with chocolate icing topped with walnuts. And no, I've never made it like she does. She says there is no secret, but nevertheless, mine is not as good as hers, just like her baked beans, but that's not the issue here.

I prefer pies to cake and was apt to bake more pies in my baking years. I would say my best pie was apple. Back in the day, during apple season in Upstate NY, I used to make a dozen pies and put them in the freezer for the winter. It was always nice to be able to thaw a pie, pop it into the oven and take it to a sick neighbor or surprise my family with fresh apple pie for dinner.

My favorite pie, however, is blueberry. I have a pretty good recipe and still make a mean berry pie. Today, however, I do not make my own crust. I buy the pie crusts out of the dairy case and Voila! I have a delicious pie in half the time.

So now you know my dirty little secret. Anytime you're in the neighborhood drop in and I'll whip up a pie in a jiffy.

1 comment:

  1. In my family we could never duplicate Gramma's pie crust or sugar cookies. Even when she stood with us and guided us step by step or stood next to us, doing her own so we could follow her, ours never worked out!

    I have found a couple recipes for pie dough that are superb. I don't think you can make a mistake with them. If you're interested ....

    ReplyDelete