Saturday, April 3, 2010

Little Women

I suggested that WeWrite4Ten members write about a favorite book. I have a few, but I guess I'll write about the first novel I ever read, and probably my all time favorite.

I was in second grade when I received Little Women for a Christmas gift. My mom and grandmother both loved to read and probably collaborated on the gift. I really don't remember who gave it to me, probably Santa. Looking back, I can hardly believe that I could read the book by myself at that age. A genius, I am not.

I was a lover of words and reading though, and I know I read it. My mom and grandmother had been reading to me since the day I was born, I believe and it was just natural for me to continue in that vein.

I remember the first word that I discovered by myself was "laugh". It was in a Dick and Jane Book and Puff had gotten into something and turned white and Sally "laughed". I was so very excited to think that I had figured out that word by context.

So, I began to read Little Women over that Christmas vacation. I'm sure I had finished it by the time we went back to school the following week. I was totally engaged in the March family's life and affairs.

Beth was the favorite, of course. I remember how I cried when she died. My little heart was broken. Of course, Jo was the fun one and the one we all wanted to be like. Even in my young life, I knew Amy was spoiled and I didn't want to end up like that. And Meg, who wouldn't love Meg.

They were all so brave and loving. I was too young to realize that Mr. March was away fighting in the Civil War. I just knew their life was hard and that Marmee made it all worth while.

It's hard to believe that after all these years, I can still be there in their house, watching their dramas and sitting by their fire.

One of my greatest disappointments as a mother is that my girls didn't have any interest in reading Little Women or having me read it to them. I think I'll put the book on hold at my local library to read when I get back to Upstate NY.

1 comment:

  1. Little Women is my favorite book, too. It is the first book I can remember checking out of the library at school. I have read it again and again. My girls each got a copy when they were growing up, too.

    ReplyDelete