Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cats Vs. Dogs


The assignment for WeWrite4Ten today, is "cats or dogs, which do you prefer and why?"


Until I was about eight years old, we didn't have a pet in our home. I was absolutely terrified of dogs and I have no recollection of the reason why. But I can sure remember that feeling of terror which lasted well into my adulthood.


At age eight someone must have decided I need a cat and Shine came into my life. He was an all black cat with a white spot under his chin. I loved that cat. He slept with me, greeted me when I came in from school and generally, made me happy. I don't know exactly how long I had him, but he was killed by a car. I was heartbroken and within a day or two, my Aunt Jessie came calling with Timmy.


Timmy was a great cat who just disappeared one day while I was away visiting my Aunt. I have always had a theory that his disappearance was really death, but my mom always insisted not. Whatever the case, I was done with cats. I have never had any affection for a cat since that time. I really don't care much for cats.


But, my feeling about dogs did a very gradual turn around. I think the dogs that friends and family members owned helped me overcome my fears and slowly opened my heart to those crazy critters.


To make a long story short, one day I woke up and wanted to own a dog of my own. My hubby said an emphatic, "No." Along comes daughter Paige with the neatest dog we had ever known. We loved Frazier on first sight. Then, much to my delight, Paige moved to Chicago and couldn't take the dog. So we inherited him.


He was the best dog I have ever known. He just loved being a dog. We lost him to a brain tumor several years ago. I still miss him every day.
So, to answer the question. I am a confirmed dog lover and I can thank my boy Frazier for that.

2 comments: