Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pet Names

The assignment from WeWrite4Ten today is: What is your favorite pet name for someone, or that someone has for you. How did it start?

My dad had a name for each of us children. Being the oldest, I'll start with mine. It was Phenelofee. The name started with my Uncle Norman, who for a short time in our family life, lived with us. I'm not sure why he named me that. I think it was given lovingly, but also think he thought I might just be a little snooty.

My brother, Bob, was named George and my dad called him that most of his life. Again, I don't know how where it started, but somehow it suited him. I know my dad and his brothers all called Bob by this name, but I don't think I ever heard anyone else call him that.

Both Bob and I were called Hukey by neighborhood kids and school friends. Once again, I'm not sure how it started. I do remember a really nice guy in our town, probably ten years or more older than me, whenever he saw me anywhere, calling out as loudly as possible, "Hey Hukey."

My sister's name from all the men in my dad's family was, Nuisance. I don't think there is any need for explanation in that regard. She was, until the day she died, rather a nuisance. Again, I say that lovingly.

Over the years, Jim and I have had various pet names for each other. I guess it depends on which decade of our marriage we were in as to which name we called each other.

But if we want to talk about favorite names we have been called, it would be when our girls are feeling especially tender towards us and call us Popsala and Mamasita. Then we really feel loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment