Sunday, March 7, 2010

WeWrite4Ten - College or Not

The subject of today's WeWrite4Ten is: College education? Do you have one? Was it worth the cost? If you don't, do you miss it?

When I was eighteen, as I have written previously, I thought I was in love and wanted to get married. So, I opted out of college. I spent a year in business school and the next eight years working in business. When my children came, I was a stay at home mom for the next ten years.

I decided to go back to work for ten hours a week in the local public library which eventually led me to go back to school. My boss, the library director was planning to retire in two years and had asked me to consider getting the necessary degree to take over her job.

I chose Empire State College, a part of the NYS University system which allows life credit and non-traditional credit. Empire State was perfect for me. By this time, my children were in college, I was working about twenty hours a week and I could easily fit this type of study into my schedule. I loved it. In order to be considered for the job of Library Manager in our small town library, I needed an Associates Degree. With a lot of credit for life skills and taking courses year round, I had more than enough credits for the degree.

I think I am only a few hours short of a BA, and have considered going back. I love studying and learning. I enjoyed every minute of my course work at Empire State. Now that I'm retired, I know I don't need a Bachelor's degree, but some days I find myself seriously considering going back and finishing what I started.

Although I think my life has taken the right path, if I have any regrets, it's not getting a college degree.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter is currently going for a master of library science through the University of Alabama--all her classes are online. She only had to go to Tuscaloosa for a week in August to meet the professors and the other students, and to learn how to use their software. The course will take her 18 months to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 2 year Liberal Arts degree. Then I was married, and was soon raising 3 children, and never went back to college. Funny, I also wanted to be a librarian, since I loved books. But, after my children were grown, and I was by then divorced, I opted to start a new life in the country. It's been quite an adventure, living in the boonies, and I have never been sorry I moved here.

    Hugs,

    Renie

    ReplyDelete