Saturday, March 6, 2010

WeWrite4Ten - Career Options

I don't know when I decided I wanted to be an English teacher, probably somewhere around the tenth grade. That was my desire. I applied at a State College, was accepted and ready to go when a romance intervened. He was older and wanted to get married as soon as he was discharged from the army. The career path made a sudden left turn, much to the chagrin of my parents. I was off to business school, where I learned to be a secretary.

Fast forward ten months; the engagement was off, I was in Philadelphia doing secretarial work, which I never liked or felt I was very good at.

Fast forward thirty years. Married to my precious Jim, children almost grown, working as a library clerk. I decided to go back to school and get the necessary degree to be the manager of our local public library.

Fast forward ten more years. Being the director of our public library was the best, most fulfilling job I have ever held. I retired from that job totally fulfilled and happy with my professional life.

HOWEVER, if I had it all to do over again, I would choose broadcasting as a career. I have always loved being onstage, the center of attention. Speaking in public is in my blood. I remember my next door neighbor, Bob P., telling me in our senior year of high school that I was a limelighter. He says today that he's sorry he said that, but I didn't take it as an insult. It was just the plain truth.

I loved Jessica Savitch, followed her career and was sad at her untimely death. I didn't realize it at the time, but she was my idol. Oh yes, if I had it all to do over again, I might be Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric or, okay, Barbara Walters.

1 comment: