Saturday, March 20, 2010

WeWrite4Ten - Favorite Aunts and Uncles

The assignment (from my brain) for today is to write about a favorite Aunt or Uncle.

We've all heard the adage that it takes a village to raise a child. Well in my case, it took a family. I was born in 1945, just before the end of the WWII. My father and mother never married, and it was my mother's wish that we have as little to do with my biological father as possible.

At this point, only one member of my mother's rather large family was married. My grandfather had just passed away, my mom and her sister's had moved to town and my uncles were all in the army. When everyone came home from the war, everyone settled within a few miles of each o there.

Hence began the raising of Pam. I love them all and they all loved me. Of course, each one of them thought they knew best about raising me, bless their hearts. The aunts loved and spoiled me, the uncles loved me too, but they thought they should make sure I had some discipline in my life. Oh yes, soon the uncles married and their wives became part of the equation. These aunts were also beloved by me.

When I was nine years old, my mom married my stepfather. Who, by the way, never treated me as a step-child, nor did any of his rather large family.

So, although this writing assignment was my idea, I cannot choose a favorite. I would say that I have always been closer to my Aunt Jessie and Aunt Letty, my mom's sisters. My Uncle Willie probably spoiled me the most. Being the black sheep, I really thought he was cool in my teen years.

But then, there are my dad's sisters and brothers. My Aunt Bets and I are still close today. I adored my Aunt Elsie and Uncle Edward too.

Most of these wonderful family members are gone now. Only my Aunt Letty, Uncle Bill and Aunt Myrle are left from my mother's side of the family. On my dad's side I have my Aunt Bets, Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Mary. At this point in my life, I realize how precious these folks are to me. I try to see them as much as possible and to let them know how important they are in my life. I feel blessed to have had these people in my life all these years.

My ten minutes is up. I need to write something about each one in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment