Thursday, March 4, 2010

We Write4Ten - Smells

The subject of our writing for ten today is: What is your favorite smell and why?

My first reaction to this subject was that I don't really have a favorite smell. I love the smell of rain on a summer day; the smell of bread baking; vanilla extract. The list goes on and on.

Then I saw a picture in my mind's eye and knew what I would write about. I really love the smell of freshly washed sheets dried in the out of doors.

Can you see them? The sun is shining brightly. There are some big puffy clouds in the otherwise perfectly blue sky? The sheets and pillowcases are hanging on the line, being blown in the wind. I can see the clothes poles that my dad made to string the lines. The grass is green all around the back yard. There are geraniums growing in the flower beds in the back of the house and the perennial bed towards the neighbor's fence is bright with beautiful flowers.

My mom and I always take the laundry down and fold it right there at the line and pile it in the clothes basket. After we carry it into the house, we go upstairs together and make the beds. The light blue sheet sets go on my brother's bed. My sister gets the yellow, while I get the lavender ones to match my bedroom walls.

At the end of the day, as the sun is setting, I'm off to my room to read. And then, I turn out the light, slide in between those sheets and smell the beauty of the summer day. Oh what memories. Who needs electric clothes driers?

No comments:

Post a Comment