Friday, March 5, 2010

WeWrite4Ten - My Wedding

The assignment for today is to relate something funny or odd that happened on your wedding day.

Jim and I chose August 24th for our wedding day, not out of some sentimental or significant choice, but because it was the latest date in summer where we could work all summer, have a short honeymoon and be in our new home for Jim to start his teaching job on September 4th.

The morning started out warm and rainy. I don't remember being concerned about the weather. I had too much else on my mind. We had chosen twelve noon for the time of our wedding and by that time the sun was shining brightly, and it was downright hot. Those two conditions added to the morning rain, brought on 110% humidity.

Our wedding was beautiful. The church was filled to the walls with friends and family, people who knew and loved us. My dad was so serious and strong as he walked me down the aisle. I remember seeing Jim and thinking how handsome he was. My dad kissed my cheek, said his four short words, "Her mother and I", and sat down.

The ceremony, as was the practice in those days, was short, sweet and to the point. It was over in a moment and Reverend Plant was saying to Jim, "You may kiss the bride." I whispered, "I love you", Jim kissed me and his glasses completely fogged over. We turned around and the poor guy couldn't see where he was going.

I can't remember if people laughed or not. I do know that I told him that for sure he had a "hot date" for the evening.

2 comments: