Monday, March 22, 2010

Frazier Wolfanger

Today's assignment asks us if we have a pet. If not, why.

I cannot possibly write in ten minutes all that was our wonderful dog, Frazier. He was the best dog anyone ever had. I know, I know, we all think that about our pets, but honestly, he was such a dog. Everyone who knew him, and that was a lot of folks, said he enjoyed being a dog.

He's been gone for several years now, and it's still very hard for me to write about him. Pets were never very high on the priority list of Jim and myself. We had our girls, our home, yard, friends, relatives, a very full life. Who needed a pet. We always sidestepped the girls' requests for a pet by saying that our (the girls' and mine) allergies just wouldn't permit it.

When Paige was in seminary, she and her housemates decided to adopt a dog. I had a fit. I told them flat out that it was crazy, they certainly, as students couldn't afford a dog. Not that they cared a hoot what I thought. Anyway, almost immediately upon adoption, Frazier became Paige's dog.

One of the first things she did, was uncrate him at night and teach him to sleep in her bed. She loved that dog. When she first brought him to meet the family, at Grandma's house in PA, I was in love too. I remember telling my brother in law that if I could be sure I would get a dog like Frazier, I'd get a dog right away.

Well, as oft happens in life, the happy household in Grand Rapids, MI, fell into dispute. Paige and one other roommate were asked to move out, and take the dog with them. Alas, there was no campus housing that would allow a dog, soooo Mr. Frazier came to our home to live.

That was probably the only really happy thing to come out of the debacle caused by the housing breakup. We got the perfect dog.

I'm afraid my time is up, but stay tuned. I just can't stop writing about this precious member of our family. I know dogs don't have souls, but I am really counting on finding Frazier waiting for me in heavenly mansion..

1 comment:

  1. I've had so many perfect dogs, over the years. They were all perfect, and they were faithful and they were all loved.

    Looking forward to more on your perfect doggie, Frazier.

    ReplyDelete